Mission of the Friends of Los Gatos Library
The Friends of Los Gatos Library is a volunteer organization dedicated to providing funding for library enhancements and programs. We strive to bring the community together by providing free forums and special programs of general interest. The Friends encourage participation in making Los Gatos Library a place of enrichment for all. We raise money through grants, memberships, donations, bookstore sales and fundraisers.
The Friends of Los Gatos Library Timeline
- 1980: First board Founded
- 1989: Focus on need for new library
- 1991: Second (revitalized) board filed nonprofit incorporation papers
- 1993: Initial board meeting of second board
“Once in a Generation” Capital Campaign Timeline:
- 2008: Friends of Los Gatos Library hired Michael Edell of Netzel-Grigsby Associates, Inc., a management and consulting firm that specializes in helping not-for-profit organizations and institutions
Friends set goal of raising $2.1 million to pay for furniture, fixtures and equipment in the new library
- 2009-2010: “Silent Phase” of campaign to develop leadership and establish committees
- 2011: “Community Phase” of campaign to identifying and solicit gifts from individuals and the community
- 2013: Campaign raised a total of $2.1 million
Los Gatos Library Timeline
- 1898: Library founded by the Los Gatos Floral Society
First location: Main Street store built on stilts over the Gatos Creek
- 1901: Town received a $10,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie
- 1903: Carnegie Public Library opened on University Avenue, now parking lot of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
- 1906: Library became the first in California to offer a children’s corner.
- 1954: Library moved to the former American Legion War Memorial building on East Main Street.
- 1966: Town dedicated a new Civic Center, which included a library with 50,000 volumes, a record collection and historic photographs
- 1994: Town purchased property behind the Civic Center for new library
- 1998: Friends of Los Gatos Library and the Library Board funded a needs assessment for a new library.
- 2007: Los Gatos Town Council planned for a new library to be funded through redevelopment funds and existing Town reserves.
- 2008: Noll & Tam Architects hired to design the 30,000-square-foot building
- 2010: Official groundbreaking for new library
- 2012: New library completed.